Research Based Educational Materials For Struggling Readers of ALL AGES and ALL LEVELS
The Morgan Method
Orton-Gillingham reading programs with humorous and engaging reading text.
- Give the student an easy passage without illustrations
- Also give her a paper with empty boxes numbered 1-8 (or how many you need)
- Have the student read the passage independently and draw a picture in each box for each sentence in the passage
- Then have her retell the passage using the pictures she has drawn
- Go through the passage and give help where there are misunderstandings
- She could also rewrite the passage using only the pictures she has drawn
- A student could also draw pictures of sentences from the program which she has not read aloud or heard read
Often students, especially young students, do not know the meaning of the words in the program. Since these are all common words, teachers may want to use these words to do direct instruction in vocabulary.
>> Get more tips
Tell Me How You're Using the Materials
If you are using MDP materials and you discover an interesting new way to use the materials, send your ideas to me and I'll add them here. -- Kenneth Morgan, President, Morgan Dynamic Phonics
What Is Morgan Dynamic Phonics?
- These programs are in line with the No Child Left Behind Act, the Reading Excellency Act, the National Reading Panel 2000 Report, and the California and Texas Reading Initiatives. These programs can and have been use to obtain Reading First Monies from the No Child Left Behind Act.
- These programs are in line with recent scientific research in the field of reading instruction (see: Scientific Underpinnings of Morgan Dynamic Phonics) and have yielded extremely high test scores in the first 13 years of use.
- The Morgan Dynamic Phonics programs are MULTI-SENSORY STRUCTURED LANGUAGE programs based on the ORTON-GILLINGHAM method, that has been used successfully with struggling readers for over 50 years. Phonemic awareness training is taught throughout the programs. Teacher training is available upon request.
- The use of humorous, interactive and meaningful decodable reading text keeps the interest of the students and makes reading instruction a lot of fun. It makes written language come alive for the students.
- These programs were developed by an experienced teacher, thoroughly tested in the classroom, and are now being used in thousands of classrooms and homes across the U.S.A. and Canada. Many Orton-Gillingham trained teachers and tutors use these materials because they are funny and effective.
- One program is for the classroom and another is for use in the home by parent or tutor (used by homeschoolers).
- One program is for teaching elementary and middle school students and another program is for high school students and adults.
- The Dynamic Roots program teaches higher level reading and vocabulary skills through the study of roots words, prefixes, suffixes and interesting word origins. This is called Morphological Awareness Training and we have the most comprehensive, interesting, and thorough program you will find anywhere.